Tuesday, June 18, 2013

{green, GREEN}

This is my first GREEN smoothie!!!  =)  I know, I know!  It does not look green... but truly it has greens in it!  Amazing what berries do for color huh?!  =D

Soooo .... what's in it?  And why am I drinking this stuff?

Well, and this is something a little personal... so be brave Carrie and post anyways and sorry to any sensitive queasy tummies! =)  ...I bled really badly immediately after giving birth to my first two kids. so much so that Seth and I seriously considered if we needed to do a hospital birth (my friends know how much I am in favor of homebirth! =) so that if "serious medical help" was necessary it would be right there!  Well, my midwife and i found several things that are to help with excessive bleeding.... a host actually, at least that's how it feels to me! =P  Anyways... one, I have to take a good iron supplement the entire pregnancy.  Two, have to also take cholorphyl or eat/drink lots of concentrated dark leafy greens during entire pregnancy.  Three,  drink red raspberry leaf tea for entire 40 weeks.  Plus several other things too!  The chlorophyll I have is mint-flavored, the nasty kind, and I despise taking it.  However, I'm trying to be brave and take it every day!  Well, the midwives suggested a "green smoothie".  Yuck!
Actually... today's was pretty good!  Hopefully I did okay and put in enough spinach =)

Ingredients:
spinach
coconut milk
0% greek yogurt
frozen berries
a little banana
and blended it 'til smooth!  (btw I blended the spinach with the milk adn yogurt first and then added everything else)

I'll probably make another one tomorrow so I'll see if I can actually measure everything for a "proper" recipe! =)

Well, I suppose there aren't many out there that have to take a bunch of chlorophyll every day but if you do, try this smoothie, and if you're just wanting a healthy afternoon snack or small "lunch" then TRY IT! =)  You may be as surprised as I was at how good it actually was! =)
Oh, I'm considering doing other "options" with it including protein powder, raw cocoa powder/nibs, etc.  What do you think?!  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment