Thursday, August 7, 2014

Summer Staples1: Salads

There are some essential staples to summer that make it... Well, summer!!! ;) 
First up (besides alternately between waking up with the dawn, going out to sit in the cool morning, birdsong filling the air, and maybe working in the garden, and going to bed real late after singing around the campfire and stargazing and finishing a long love letter or a good historical novel....) 
Yes, first is SALADS! 
Here a few pictures of some that I have made this summer ;) 

This is just a simple Romaine Lettuce salad topped with bits of shredded cooked and salted chicken, tomatoes, cilantro, and a bit of ranch. I can't believe how much cilantro does to make a normal salad one notch more! ;) 
Finely diced cilantro, celery, white onion, sliced tomato.... All perfect add-ins to shredded chicken salads (mayo, salt, pepper, oregano, and anything else you like in the herbs dept!)....and then....
Take your chicken salad mixture and fill romaine lettuce, top with tomato, and you have a great (and THM "S") healthy lunch, fast and on-the-go too! ...I was easily able to scarf these down while I juggled three kidlets who all apparently had their own needs and wants at the very same time
Another "regular" romaine lettuce salad dressed up with scrumptiously sautéed chicken breast, salted and seasoned, cilantro, tomato, Avacado, and for dressing fresh lemon juice and srircha sauce! 
This is definitely one of my new favorites! 

I don't have a picture of this one, but it is actually quite delicious and similar to one that Serene and Pearl have in their book, Trim Healthy Mama. 
And I I have two versions, one is plain cottage cheese topped with Avacado, cilantro, and tomato, salted and peppered! The other is to take romaine lettuce, then cottage cheese, with green onions, cilantro, Avacado, tomato, a bit of salsa, sriracha sauce, salt and pepper. 
It sounds really weird, but it amazingly refreshing and delicious! Plus it is also packed full of orotein with all the cottage cheese, ;) 

One of my all time favorites is a family favorite on my side and one of Seth's all time faves too! Definitely a win-win! :) 
Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
4 cups of Brocooli and Cauliflower (or whichever you have on had or prefer)
1/2 -1cup Raisins
1 cup finely diced Onions
1/2 Sunflower Seeds 
Bacon, cooked, crispy and crumbled
Mix all, then toss with dressing: 
1 cup Mayo
2 Tbs or so, White Viegar (or use a mixture of Rice Vinegar, White Vinegar, or Apple Cider Vinegar) 
Salt
Pepper
1-3 tsp. Sugar, or healthier sugar substitute like Truvia. ;) 
Mix the dressing to taste, and then mix into the salad ingredients! :) 
Even picky eaters usually love this salad, and it is sooo healthy for you! If you are following THM this should be a "S".... Although I am not sure about the mayo, maybe use a light mayo?! Guess that part is up to you because obviously I can't be an authority in it. :/ 

We have lots of other favorites, but I will have to save them for a later day! 
I'd love to know what some of YOUR favorite summer salads are?!?! ;). Another of my favorites is Nikki's Hot Mexican Salad! I will have to make it and get pictures so I can share with you.... Yum yum! ;) 






No comments:

Post a Comment