Wednesday, May 1, 2013

{spice up a bit of regular life} Salsa

Hey there!  I don't know how much time I have this afternoon but I'm abandoning the messy kitchen and leaving the living room littered with toys so I can blog just a little while the little ones are napping! =)
I know it's been really quiet here, and I'm postive everyone who may have been following has abandoned me  because there haven't been anything for so long!  So sorry =(  I have been trying to be more intentional on doing less online socialness including blogging, less movie-watching and WAY more playing with the kids, cleaning house, doing things with friends, etc.  Not sure if I have been doing any better in the one area but i do know that I fee like I've been neglecting my blogs =(  So, if you think of it and are a fellow Christ-follower, please pray that I can be a good wife and mother and keep up with those callings BUT also am able to write and do my blogs, because honestly writing helps me work out the kinks of life; it helps me express myself even though my attempts are sloppy, feeble, and disorganized at best; it helps to remind me of the joys and pleasures in the mundane; and of course, I really do love sharing pictures, stories, and on here... recipes! with all of you! =)

So.  Salsa. Homemade salsa.  Oh yeah!

A couple weeks ago I got this bountiful basket that had some tomatoes, peppers, and avocados in it, and I immediately thought: FRESH SALSA!  I finally got to it at least a week and half later! =)

 I did have to buy a few things for it (cilantro, limes, tomatillos) but everything else came in that basket!  Impressive huh!?  =)
Isn't the picture pretty with all those colors?!  I just love homemade fresh salsa!  Growing up my parents would often make batch upon batch of fresh salsa come late summer and early autumn.  I remember they would always split the batch, lots of hot stuff for them and some for us kids with much less heat! =)  I also remember one day, by accident on purpose I have no recollection but, I took a bite or two of some salsa that was labeled 'dad's' and just about died!  IT WAS HOT!
As a teenager I finally had worked my way up to liking salsa a little hotter, but I definitely would not have considered myself as liking "hot" salsa.... then as a young adult (21 exactly =) I went out to Tennessee and volunteered at Above Rubies as a secretary and office helper, and the Campbells who run the ministry and who I also stayed with had 4 Liberian teenagers who made most of our dinners.  Oh.my.goodness, do they like their food HOT!  Wow!  The food, overall, was very different than I was use to (perhaps a combination of African stew/soup and gumbo?!), and it was spicy!  It was good, but definitely took a little while getting use to.  =)
When I came back home after those 4 months away, guess what I discovered?!  Yeah, I now liked my food AND SALSA much hotter than my dad!!!  =)  Not sure if that was ever a future accomplishment I dreamed of attaining as a kid, but if so, I had certainly had achieved it! Hehe!

By the way, I met my (future) husband the day I arrived home and soon found out, that he loves hot food; in fact, I don't think I have seen him eat anything (yet?! =) that was too spicy!  But it was fun getting to eat spicy stuff all the time after we got married ........................  but then ....................
......... I got pregnant ........... twice.
And quickly found out that, at least while in the womb, both of my children do NOT like mommy eating anything remotely spicy/hot!!!!  Boo =(  I was so incredibly shocked and sad.  Although the saddest part, is that since then, I am not as use to the spice and just can't seem to eat as hot of food anymore.  =(
However, so far, this little baby has done "okay" with salsa and spicy stuff, so cross-my-fingers-hope that perhaps I can get through the whole pregnancy not having to give up beloved Mexican dishes! =)
This little guy was keeping me supplied with company while I made the salsa! =)  Isn't he cute?!  hehe! 
So confession time:  
I only took these two pictures of my recent salsa!  Is that incredibly silly and sad?!  I tell you, it has been really difficult for me to balance the mommy part of myself and the blogger/food photographer part!  =D  Lol!  I so would love to know how these other mommy/wife bloggers do it!  Are their youngest kids older than 5 or something?!?!?  Because I have not figured out how to take pictures non-stop and of every step while making a recipe AND keep up with the numerous non-stop interupptions from my darling little kids! Whew.  It's a full time job, and obviously the photographer part is miserably failing =P  

So.  I promise next time I make some homemade salsa I will try really, really hard to get some finished pics! =)  Of course I guess I will have to re-blog about salsa/spicy food, huh?!  If so, then I will make sure and tell you about the two times when I got too much Liberian spice when in Tennessee!  It will make your eyes water... probably with tears over my brave attempts... errrr um, stupidity!  =) lol!  
But until then.... 
.... go get some yummy salsa- veggies and make yourself some homemade goodness!  Just don't forget the chips .... or the cilantro and limes (like I originally did this past week =) 

8 med-large tomatoes, chopped or diced (to your preference)
3-4 tomatillos, rough chopped and then pureed with the chili peppers/jalapenos
1-2 medium onions, finely diced
1-2, or 3-7 (lol!) hot peppers, chili peppers, jalapenos - (all depending upon how hot you'd like it),
finely diced or roughly chopped and pureed with the tomatillos 
optional for really delicious heat: 1-2 serrano pepper, seeded and finely diced
1-4 garlic cloves, finely diced or throw in with those other hot peppers and puree 
(by the way, we like garlic, so for this batch amount, I would at least use 2 or 3)
cilantro, finely diced, one half to entire bunch
1-2 limes, squeezed/juiced
a pinch or two of salt
optional: puree some of the tomatoes
or, add some tomato paste, 1-2 cans at the most, for a thicker salsa

Mix all thoroughly, adjust and add any ingredients to individual taste, taste again numerous times with salty chips, and don't let your husband see you've made homemade salsa until at least dinner  is half over!  =)  
Yield: 1.5 quarts

Enjoy! 

P.S.  for that optional Serrano pepper, this is the kind I prefer even while prego or just after while nursing (yes, the babies don't like spicy even in their milk, go figure! =).... as it has great flavor! It is also my husband's ultimate favorite spicy pepper. ;)   However, if you don't care for a lot of spicy heat, just use a quarter or half of one, and slowly add more until you're satisfied! =)  ALSO, if you do use serrano peppers, you can omit the spicier peppers that I mentioned (jalapenos, etc)  

2 comments:

  1. yummy! I want some now! with Juanita brand tortilla chips!! your pics are so bright and fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mither! The cool thing about salsa?!? It's HEALTHY! =) hehe! Just lots of veggies... of course, the chips on the hand are quite debateable =) Lol!
    Let me know if you and Dad/Papa end up making some soon =D

    ReplyDelete