Thursday, May 30, 2013

{First Attempt at GF Pancakes}

Yeah, did I just name this post "first attempt at GF Pancakes"???  I mean, hello???  How can any pancakes/waffles be gluten-free and actually edible or delicious?!
Well, here is a recipe that proves they can be! =)

Now, if you know me very well, you'll know that I absolutely L.O.V.E a good breakfast of fluffy, soft, delicious buttermilk pancakes or perfectly crafted soft n crispy waffles!!!  Mmmmm, I'm swooning just thinking about them =)  hehe!  (By the way, that kind of meal is of course just perfect if it is served with syrup and a smidgin of butter AND a good side of breakfast sausage links or crispy fried bacon! =)
Honestly, I cannot imagine a gluten free recipe for pancakes.  How could they even be edible never-the-less even yummy?!? =)

Try these.  They're really quite amazing!  No, they're not exactly like those amazing buttermilk pancakes that some of my favorite restaurants cook up, but they sure a great substitute! =)  This recipe is also a combined mix of Serene and Pearl's from Trim Healthy Mama (http://www.trimhealthymama.com/) and one of mine, so enjoy =)

Healthy Mama Gluten Free COTTAGE CHEESE PANCAKES

Mix in a separate bowl:
1 cup gluten-free Flour (I used Bob's Red Mill all-purpose GF flour)
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt

Mix in a larger bowl:
4 Eggs
1 cup Cottage Cheese, preferably 1% or 2%
1 T. virgin olive oil or coconut Oil
good drizzle of Blue Agave sweetener
1 tsp. Vanilla

Mix dry and wet ingredients together.  Cook over low-medium heat in a lightly oiled/buttered pan (usually just once at the beginning).  Serve with a sugar-free or low sugar-free syrup, smidgin of butter, berries, or however you like them! =)  ENJOY! 

Note:  the THM version (found on the facebook group or in the book) has some other sweetener ideas, and uses finely ground oatmeal for the flour.  I am hoping to try those other options but don't have the sweeteners they suggest using nor a way to grind up oatmeal  into flour YET (hehe!) so I decided to try it this way with what I did have on hand!  Also, notice there is NO milk in the recipe!  Wow!  I wasn't sure if a pancake recipe could really omit the milk but the way I made it with the cottage cheese and the full eggs (THM uses only 100% egg whites which would also do the same thing) there is actually enough liquid to make a great pancake! If you like a little thinner, more crepe-like pancake I would suggest using 1/4 c. milk or coconut/almond milk, but do try it without at least for fun! =)

I am sure I'll be making these again soon as Mercy loved them and truthfully so did I (even my picky pancake eater mother-in-law did! =) and I know with all the cottage cheese and eggs for protein and the GF option that they are really good/healthy for us!!!  Yay!  I don't know have to give up one of my favorite breakfasts/lunches/dinners!!!  Lol, yeah I just kind-of love having a cooked breakfast for every meal! =)
Now to go make sure the camera has good batteries in it so I can make sure and take pictures next time.... and to show you the beautiful and healthy way we topped our pancakes!!!  ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment